Getting Started in Analysis and Porjections

For discussion of how to use the Cycles Research Institute' own Cycles Analysis & Time Series software.

Re: Getting Started in Analysis and Porjections

Postby RayTomes » 14 Sep 2010, 23:09

I am back in the world of cycles again. Please let me know if your issues are still unresolved.

It seems that the idea of saving as csv and renaming to cats is not such a good one. I think that the problem is that Microsoft is set to the dumb options that try to prevent renaming extensions. Does anyone know how to change that?

With regard to constructing a fit to data with multiple cycles, that was done in the 4th CATS video. I invite people to submit examples of data that they would like to analyze and in the next CATS session these can be done. As soon as CRI subscription to NetViewer is set up I will set a date for a meeting of CATS users again and we will be all able to attend at the same time.
RayTomes

Postby Martin » 15 Sep 2010, 12:31

perigee2010 wrote:Forgive my simple question - when i try and rename a CSV file to CATS it does not change it - it changes the name but the file extension stays as CSV. Can anyone make any suggestions on what i may be doing wrong.

In the file window, try going to "Tools", "folder options", "view" then scroll down and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" This should allow you to change the ext. You will get a warning so be careful. Thats how it works for me.
Martin

Postby Martin » 15 Sep 2010, 12:42

i am simply after weekly data on sp500 in cats format if anyone can help.

I have up'ed the S&P500 weekly data in cats format to the Yahoo grupo under files. Let me know if it works for you.

Martin.
Martin

Postby Martin » 15 Sep 2010, 12:56

Blair the weekly data works best if you only use the price data as opposed to using cats=d20100101, 20110101,1,T,D for daily. Weekly would be cats=20100101,20110101,7 and you would delete the date entries in the file. The problem is the software is a little picky about multiples of 7's. the great thing is before you go pulling out a calendar and a calculator, it will suggest the correct multiple ending date. Nice Ray :)

Martin.
Martin

Postby Martin » 15 Sep 2010, 13:08

Hi Blair looking forward to hearing from you. I have been doing some work on various markets and having a blast. Loving the software. Mostly daily. I look at the cycles from the spec of the log of prices and then the spec of the log of the rate of change. Both produce very slightly different results but I am finding that most of the dominant cycles show up in both.

I am also looking forward to Ray showing us a video doing a factor analysis and the steps involved and how he extracted the factors to arrive at his most recent post. The result looked terrific.

Martin.
Martin

Previous

Return to CATS Software